The B.C. Certificate of Graduation or “Dogwood Diploma” is awarded to students who successfully complete the provincial graduation requirements for Grades 10 – 12.
Students require a minimum of 80 credits to graduate.
Of these 80 credits:
- At least 16 credits must be at the Grade 12 level, including a required Language Arts 12.
- At least 28 credits must be elective course credits.
- 52 credits are required from the following:
- Career-Life Education (4 credits), and Career-Life Connections (4 credits).
- Physical and Health Education 10 (4 credits).
- Science 10 (4 credits), and a Science 11 or 12 (4 credits).
- Social Studies 10 (4 credits), and a Social Studies 11 or 12 (4 credits).
- A Math 10 (4 credits), and a Math 11 or 12 (4 credits).
- A Language Arts 10, 11 and a required 12 (12 credits total).
- An Arts Education 10, 11, or 12 and/or an Applied Design, Skills, and Technologies 10, 11, or 12 (4 credits total).
In addition, students must also complete three new graduation assessments:
- The new Grade 10 Graduation Numeracy Assessment was introduced in 2018.
- The new Grade 10 Graduation Literacy Assessment will be introduced in 2019/20.
- The New Grade 12 Graduation Literacy Assessment will be introduced in 2020/21.
Note on Career Life Education: For 2019/20 and beyond, the following career education courses will be used in all BC schools:
- Career Life Education.
- Career Life Connections.
Franklin School is fully bonded and certified with the B.C. Ministry of Education. Franklin students will receive the B.C. Certificate of Graduation – Dogwood Diploma – upon graduation.